From:
Melinda Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:01:41 +0000
This discussion is fascinating, not only for its facts but for the opinions and emotions still exhibited after so many decades.  That's the hardest thing about history.  It's all interpreted from someone's personal point of view, and the truth lies somewhere in the midst of all of them.
As a Virginian, born and bred, I was raised to think only positively of the Confederacy.  Both sides of my family were supporters of (and soldiers for) the South.  My maternal grandmother was very bitter about the "Yankees" and the difficulties her family faced in post-Civil-War Virginia.  However, she never had a negative word to say about Lincoln.  Growing up in Richmond, I learned a great deal of good about our 16th president in school and learned  that Jefferson Davis was the leader of the Confederate States but was not much else.  Lee was the heroic figure.

--
Melinda C. P. Skinner
Richmond, VA

From: Gregg Kimball <[log in to unmask]>