From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 2009 08:56:04 -0700
Two main differences.

Farmers raised diverse crops for themselves and the market.  A small farmer in Va. might grow corn, wheat, some small animals, and maybe hay or tobacco for the market.  A planter might be less diversified, and would specialize in market crops (cotton, tobacco, sugar, rice).  Many plantations bought most of their food from other sources because it was more profitable to devote all their land and labor to cash crops.  Ohio exported significant amounts of pork, for example, to the South.

Planters in the antebellum South had significant numbers of slaves (at least 20 is the usually number).  Many farmers had no slaves or only a few.

----

Paul Finkelman

President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law

Albany Law School

80 New Scotland Avenue

Albany, NY  12208

518-445-3386 (p)