Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 08:10:04 -0700
You know, that is sad.

I am writing a book that deals with Prince Edward County and find it fascinating that when you mention Massive Resistance you can't mention the case in Prince Edward, which was part of Brown when it went to the Supreme Court. Or not mention it because it was the only school system that was closed for years, not a few months.

I also find it interesting that someone would be part of a history discussion group and find history boring. This is about people's lives. I have talked with some of these people and they fought to be as learned as they are. They didn't get to just get on the bus. No, some of them had to move out of state or go without. There was help that came, but it was sub par as was their education before the school closing.

I find Barbara Johns to be a hero. To think that the people of Virginia don't even bring up Prince Edward when talking about desegregation is a sad commentary on how you view your own state history. Then to think that you would find it ancient history when the people most affected are still alive is really sad.

Paul Shannon