From:
Richard Dixon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2016 12:30:26 -0500
I conveyed Professor Finkelman's note to Robert Turner and his response
is as follows (Professor Turner is not a member of VA-HIST):

Professor Finkelman is correct that Philip Foner was a Marxist and
accused member of the Communist Party USA, and while that might have
discredited him to some in the 1950s surely we can consider his
arguments on the merits today.

I quoted him
<http://www.dailyprogress.com/opinion/opinion-commentary-censoring-jefferson-to-safeguard-ignorance-president-s-legacy/article_1756205c-b4a1-11e6-9510-9ffce9935918.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=user-share>,
along with former President John Quincy Adams (who at various times was
a Federalist, Democratic-Republican, and Whig--something to offend
virtually everyone at one time or another) as praising Jefferson's
anti-slavery efforts, but not as proof he was an abolitionist.  But the
Founder of the University of Virginia certainly was an abolitionist, and
drafted a statute that would have provided that all children born to
slaves starting in 1800 would be born free and raised at public expense
in an appropriate trade or occupation.  He wanted to have the amendment
ready for when public opinion shifted sufficiently to make it
politically viable.

Was Jefferson perfect?  No.  But I would argue that his position on race
and slavery was better than those of Washington and Lincoln, not to
mention most other politicians before the 20th century.

Could Jefferson have done more? Perhaps, but each such endeavor
threatened his political viability to contribute to the new nation in
other areas.  And, of course, like political figures today he had a
variety of interests that sometimes conflicted. For example, he lived in
a slave-based society on a plantation that required manpower for the
comfort of his family and his economic survival.  He contemplated
importing more European laborers, and considered various approaches to
improving the circumstances and eventually granting freedom to his
slaves.  He did not solve all of the world's problems--or even his own
problems--but he stood out from most of his contemporaries in
courageously denouncing slavery as a moral monstrosity.  For that he
deserves our respect.

Richard E. Dixon Editor Jefferson Notes 571-748-7689 TJHeritage.org The
Virginia Presidents: A Travel and History Guide