From:
Christopher Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2018 20:16:19 +0000
Dear Mr Wilson,                          Many thanks for your message. Thanks to a previous message, I have managed to find three photographs of Susan Myra Kingsbury via the Ancestry.com site. I am grateful for that help and your advice. The reason for my interest in her work is contained in the pasted message below. With good wishes,                                                                                             Dr Christopher Thompson (Senior Research Fellow, Humanities Research Institute, University of Buckingham)Many thanks for your help regarding photographs of Susan Myra Kingsbury. I am most grateful. There is, however, a significant set of issues with her work on the records of the Virginia Company of London. Her Columbia Ph.D. thesis appears to have been published by the Library of Congress in 1905 as 'An Introduction to the Records of the Virginia Company of London' and was itself used verbatim as the introduction to Volume I of The Records of the Virginia Company of London. That volume also contained a list of the documents she had found relating to the affairs of the Company: it was published in the introduction to Volume 3 of The Records of the Virginia Company of London published by the Library of Congress in 1934. I infer from this evidence that, after her 1908 essay on comparing the Virginia Company to other English mercantile ventures, that she ceased studying the history of the colony and turned to the economic and sociological studies she later published. If I am right, this explains why she missed the bulk of the Ferrar Papers held at Magdalene College, Cambridge (recently transcribed by David Ransome) and the other material, e.g. in Huntingdon and the major U.K.repositories, that she had not seen on her visit to England in the first decade of the twentieth century. The first of these omissions was known by the mid-1930s as Wesley Frank Craven noted. But there are large areas of Virginia's early history that she missed, alas.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Christopher Thompson Reply  Reply All  Forward