Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2007 21:38:47 -0800
I'm sure you are right that something could be worked out, if reasonable, well-intentioned people sit and talk about it. It must cost a fortune to maintain the Chapel.  If the school could free up that money, maybe the money saved could fund scholarship programs, a memorial, history staff, or some other useful purpose.

  And in response to an earlier comment about student fees: Most of the funding  schools operate on is either government funding or tax-dedectible contributuions. People can give without strings, or they can specify that their money be used for a certain project.  Money collected from the government or 501(c)3 tax-deductable contributions can't be used for certain budget items.  For instance, the school might think it is in the best interests of students  to help both Young Democrats and Young Republicans fund a program on campus, such as a debate. But 501[c] 3 money can't be used for promoting a political party or candidate.  But the school might want students to learn about government, politics, debating, student leadership, and other worthwhile lessons,  by participation.  The schools fund these activities with student fees.  They might fund sports because not enough money was raised through donations. Likewise, they could fund religious projects, if done properly. I
 have no idea how Wm & Mary actually uses its fees.

  Langdon Hagen-Long

"Donald W. Moore" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  The Wren Chapel, not to mention the Wren Building, is historical. Why
should we sacrifice our history for political correctness? Why not
donate the Wren facility to Colonial Williamsburg and let it be
interpreted in historical context?