From:
Lee Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 13:26:11 -0400
I recently forwarded the message below to my archival colleagues in
Virginia, which generated a few helpful responses--herewith gratefully
acknowledged--but I would like now to throw the matter open a little
more widely to VA-Hist.  Any suggestions/information would be gratefully
received.
    Lee Shepard

--
E. Lee Shepard
Assistant Director for

I need a little help from my archival colleagues.  I probably should
know all about what follows, but I will confess I do not.

The Virginia Historical Society has received a grainy fax of a letter
supposedly written by John Brown from Charles Town, Va. [W.Va.], on 17
November 1859 to T. B. Musgrave.  It appears this letter is affixed to a

cardboard backing and folds clearly show in the otherwise indistinct
image.  The handwriting does appear to match Brown's.  This letter is
being offered for sale by a private individual.

The original of this letter was known to Webb and transcribed in his
"Life and Letters of Captain John Brown" (London, 1861).  Sanborn also
included a transcription in the various editions of his book on Brown
beginning in 1885.  My colleagues at the NPS library at Harper's Ferry
have two copies of the letter, neither of which they would specifically
call a facsimile.

So, I have two questions:

1. Has this letter been issued in facsimile?  It would seem a good
candidate for such, speaking as it does of Brown's acceptance of his
imprisonment and impending doom.  Mary Benjamin mentions a number of
facsimiles of Brown letters from this period, particularly the letter to

Luther Humphrey dated 13 November, but does not cite this letter
specifically.

2.  If it has been issued in facsimile, where is the original?  None of
the early editions mentioned above give sufficiently detailed
information for me to be able to guess at a location, and I have not
found more modern publications of this letter that would help.