From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2007 22:44:17 -0400
The classic example took place at Wm & Mary during the 500th
anniversary of the 1st voyage of Cristobal Colon. Two of us were
assigned as TAs for an undergraduate survey course on North American
Indians. We were tasked to do a debate on the impact of Europeans in
general and Colon specifically. The other student, a Berkeley grad,
was relieved that I volunteered to handle the pro-Colon side of the
debate, admitting that she could not have defended Colon.

  It was a debate, there is no requirement to agree with the person
or action for which you are the proponent. I stated that as much as I
disagreed with just about everything about him I could defend Adolph
Hitler in a debate.

I was a bit shocked that the majority of the books available in the
Swem Library that were anti-Colon lacked footnotes and had "selected
bibliographies". In other words while purporting to be "scholarly",
they were unwilling to reveal their sources. I want to check sources
to make sure that what I am reading is factually based an not totally
the author's opinion. I won the debate.

Also at Wm and Mary we had a spirited triangular physical
anthropology seminar. While The two old guys and the teacher had a
great time skewering everything in sight and often making totally
outrageous statements, the rest of the class sat there like so many
sheep. There is not question in my mind that this was due to the
stultifying effect of "PC". It was not that they had nothing to say.
It was clear that they found many of our pronouncements off the wall
and very provocative (they were meant to be). It was equally clear
that they were unwilling to say anything that might possibly, even
tangentially be deemed offensive by anyone under any circumstances.
As in your class the professor was willing to challenge "PC" and
"TC", but the students were unwilling, or unable, to comment.

I teach middle school now and try to get my students to think.
Sometimes it works. I also try and make my classes more than what is
in the text book. the text books are generic, bland, and inoffensive.
They are also a bit boring. I like to think that my classes go beyond
that. I also make it a point to cover the good and the bad of US
history. We've got our share of warts. But having lived in a number
of other countries, and travelled to a lot more, I live here because
I haven't found a better place.

James Brothers, RPA