From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2007 20:54:53 -0400
J South,

I'm not sure what the "test" was that you put in your message, but I suspect
you were upset that the students were asked to study about Nat Turner. Is
that supposed to be bad? Nat Turner is not listed in the SOLs, but a good
teacher and good textbook would include him in the story of the events
leading up to the overthrow of the slavery system. I can see a teacher
asking the children to compare Nat Turner to George Washington or Thomas
Jefferson who both advocated freedom for the colonies and fought/wrote so
that they jeopardized their lives to make it happen. Nat Turner did the
same, had many supporters in Virginia and elsewhere, but unlike George
Washington he was not successful in defeating "The British" and paid the
price that would have been paid by George and Thomas had the war not been
won.

It is an excellent exercise in learning for 4th graders, and much better
than memorizing that Thomas Wolfe wrote books that can be enjoyed by adults.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org