From:
Katharine Harbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 13:40:42 -0400
Thank you for your input. It is always interesting to hear other views
or learn about different sources. The only reference in the available
sources here about the possible authorship of this particular piece was
a passing reference to Conassatego as a possible contributer. This
raises another interesting question - why was there a need to change the
underlying message in any way, or for that matter, how accurate was
Franklin's memory? Such details are some of the challenges one faces
when it comes to evaluation of various resources.

The underlying message is still the same, regardless of either version,
since it reflects the conflict of cultures concerning education. There
were other clashes concerning other aspects of life. I ran across one
document where one Native American mother in late 17th-century Virginia
made a very pointed reference when she told the English officials that
she felt her daughter had completed her years of servitude to her
master, and thus should now be set free, since she was "born here..."

Exploration of colonial to early 19th-century sources (narratives and
primary sources) should provide a potential avenue for future research
and discussion on this very subject.