From:
Daniel Morrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2007 09:24:19 -0500
Paul,

	True enough . . . higher education has been, and is now, and
probably will continue to be . . . disproportionately, the baliwick
of  "elites."

	But there's a great distinction to be drawn between the "planter
class" and other "elites" in the old South.   The sons of lawyers,
doctors, mill owners and merchants,  well-to-do farmers, and state
and country functionaries can hardly be described as members of "the
planter class" . . . or has the definition changed?

	In my youth "the planter class" meant "plantation
owners"  . . . . . . who wouldn't be caught dead in the field . . .
who worked their land using "large" numbers (more than 10 or
twenty?)   of slaves.

	Relatively few of the disproportionately well-to-do fell into the
"planter" class . . . or no?

	Dan