From:
"Hardwick, Kevin - hardwikr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 02:35:44 +0000
There was a UMCP MA thesis I read quite a few years ago, that analyzes the Patawmack Canal company and discusses the traffic it carried.  The company constructed five (if I recall correctly) "skirting canals" around the various rapids in the Shenandoah and Patomac rivers.  That thesis described a fairly considerable seasonal traffic that originated in the Shenandoah Valley.  The company lost money, but it nonetheless facilitated a lot of travel, apparently in extended canoe-like vessels that could handle several large casks.

I would imagine you could find a copy of the thesis at the University of Maryland library; it may also be available via University Microfilms.  The copy I read was in the library of Great Falls National Park--so you might be able to track it down via the National Park Service.  Great Falls park used to have on display in their visitor center a "batteax," but it was from the James River canal, and (again, if I remember correctly) post-dates the Patawmack canal.

Sorry I can not be more precise!

All best,
Kevin
Kevin R. Hardwick