From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:32:34 -0500
http://www.virginiawind.com/virginia_travel/smithfield_ham.asp

It was cured in 1902, has never been refrigerated, and is on display
in Smithfield. Supposedly it is still edible. This link even has two
color pictures of it- as you can see, they do look kind of weird.
Another article says they no longer have to be peanut-fed (they used
to be turned out in the peanut fields after harvest to root out what
was left), but there are still laws governing them. Only four places
can legally sell "Smithfield ham." All the rest are "country hams."
The Indians smoke-cured venison, and the English, since Jamestown
days, used the same method to cure hams from their pigs.

Speaking of Jamestown, how lovely the state legislature meeting at
the old brick church at Jamestown today! I had tears in my eyes.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone