From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2006 07:56:21 -0400
Place and time may be less important in how an interracial couple got
along in its neighborhood than the attitudes of the neighbors. Thomas E.
Buckley's article, "Unfixing Race," in the Virginia Magazine of History
and Biography 102 (1994): 349-380, discusses just such a case in depth.
Joshua Rothman's book, Notorious in the Neighborhood, already suggested,
has much good information on this topic, as do Melvin Ely's Israel on
the Appomattox, and Henry Wiencek's The Hairstons: An American Family in
Black and White. All treat episodes and communities in the first half of
the nineteenth century.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Visit the Library of Virginia's web site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us