From:
James Hershman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:28:58 -0400
I haven't read Webb's book, just a review of it. But I think there has
been tendency amony some writers to idealize, and overstate, the
Scots-Irish heritage. Grady McWhiney comes to mind in his work on the
Civil War. I think the culture and population of the mountains was much
more a fusion of different European, Native American, and African
American elements.But that brings us back to the topic we started on.

Jim Hershman