From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:33:07 -0400
Subject: WASHINGTON & LEE $100M BEQUEST

J South wrote, "Washington & Lee University announced that it has
received a $100M  bequest
from a source who desires to remain anonymous at this time.   However,
the
rumor is that the bequest is conditioned upon the University  dropping
the Lee name in favor of some other well know Virginia since the Lee
name brings to mind the leader of the slave states during the War.  The
proposal is apparently before the board of trustees.

"Fair or unfair, and what Virginian would be eleigible to replace Lee in
the name of this great university?"

A press release issued last week from the administration of Washington
and Lee confirms the grant request but does not contain a syllable about
a name change. See http://news.wlu.edu/news/page/normal/1724.html

If somebody has a fact relating to "the rumor," I'm sure we would be
interested to know it. Otherwise it is a rumor only.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Visit the Library of Virginia's Web site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us