From:
Michael Nicholls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:42:12 -0600
In the mid-1780's the states were asked to contribute money to the
fed gov't under the Articles of Confederation based on the value of
land and improvements. This actually created some lists that have
survived for some Virginia counties and are located at the Library of
Virginia. Some have dimensions of the buildings and note their
construction type, but others just list the number of buildings and
types. There are great inconsistencies. There was also a federal tax
ca 1798, but I have no evidence at hand of the details. Some of these
have survived for other states and have been used by architectural
historians.-Mick Nicholls