From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:17:54 -0500
Paul, interesting family to choose for a post. I've often wondered about them. Particularly the Joseph Bunch of Nansemond County who emancipated his 15 slaves by will and sent them to Liberia. They travelled on the *Sophia Walker* and arrived in Liberia on 30 July 1854.

One of these slaves was one Randall Bunch who changed his name to Kilby after his arrival in Liberia, and who wrote several letters to John Richardson Kilby of Nansemond, an attorney and member of the Secessionist convention (who voted NO on the first vote.) These letters are within the Kilby Papers available through the manuscripts room at LVA. I used these letters as part of an article I wrote for the *Bulletin of the Northumberland County Historical Society* in 2008.

Can you fill in some more information about this Joseph Bunch?

Craig Kilby