From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 21:26:04 -0500
In the 18C and I'm not sure that there was a "race" that was not enslaved by
someone somewhere.  Other than as a result of our own feelings of gilt, I have
never seen any reason to believe that the slavery practiced in the British
American Colonies was "most grievous" or somehow more evil than the way slavery
was generally practiced in the rest of the world.  Regardless of how well or how
badly slaves were treated in the British colonies, the owning of human beings is
immoral.  While to some extent slavery is slavery, there were undoubtedly worse
places to be a slave.  At least in the British North American Colonies slaves
had some legal rights.  Admittedly not many, and they were often ignored.  But
that is better than having none at all.