Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:11:32 -0500
Linda Howe makes a good point - and frankly one about which, as the
culprit whose query started this thread, I haven't yet done my own
homework.
  Three bits off-hand:
  Lorri Glover's book about South Carolina (which prompted my initial
query) deals with strictures about cousin marriage etc and the
definitions of incest in her and she suggests that actual practice in
the colonies was somewhat more relaxed than English practice. She also
quotes comments _about Virginia_ to that effect from Philip Fithian and
B. Latrobe.
  I've read, too, that Father Tom  Buckley's book on divorce in Va
mentions the passage of laws in NINEteenth-century Virginia that
tightened restrictions on cousins marrying.... (ca 1850s?)
  A footnote early in Andrew Burstein's new book on Jeffeson's Secrets
also mentions an later SEVENteenth- or early EIGHTteenth-century case of
a Virginia gentry woman who got a legal separation from her husband on
the grounds that she had come to have scruples about their too-close
affinity of blood relation....

Jon Kukla