From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2008 10:19:09 -0400
Brent,

My take on Herbert's question was to presume that he was just trying to find
a means to diminish my contributions to the list because he had run out of
arguments to offset mine. It was someone on the list who questioned the
presence of my book promotion on MY website, and Herbert jumped on it as a
point to discredit my work without having looked at it himself. One of those
in the discussion, wrote me offlist, and when I said perhaps I should tone
down the "advertisement" value of that page, said not to change anything on
my website, that it was, as the google stats bear out, and important and
valuable site for K-12. It is not a site purely for history, but emcompasses
all K-12 subjects. The matter of whether or not I should "promote" my book
on my web site and whether or not it constitutes "marketing" on an "org"
site or not, is more a matter between myself and the owner of the site, than
an issue to be bandied about on Va. History list. I did not bring it up,
because the book has no relevence to history. But, I did respond to those
who sought to diminish my efforts through this sidebar. They are commenting
without having seen what I do, or having any understanding of how I make use
of this list in growing the Virginia portion of the list.

Herbert Barger is one who, I think, misuses the list to promote his point of
view and diminish all who disagree with him. That he chose to jump on the
attack of my website is additional proof that his arguments cannot stand on
their own merit. My assertion that continuing to paint those who see things
differently are promoting an image of Jefferson as a pimp, was an effort to
bring some of these people to an understanding of what they are really
saying when they insist that anyone who disagrees with them is a LIAR. I am
especially hurt to see such old time list members such as Jon Kukla and
Henry Weincek painted with this broad brush of "lying", when they are good
historians and good writers who bring to light the less-well-known points of
view in the discussions.

Unlike some who have painted Jon Kukla with a broad brush, I have read,
re-read, and thoroughly enjoyed his book on Jefferson's Women. Yesterday I
started Henry Weincek's book on Washington "An Imperfect God". I can see
where those who want to put our Founding Fathers (or at least those
fromVirginia), on a high pedestal would be upset by such works, but as one
who like a good story, I enjoy reading about the basic humanity of these
people. It does not in any way tarnish what they accomplished for this
country.

Some time back, there was a heated discussion on Abraham Lincoln, on which
many on this list, trashed one of the greatest presidents of all time.
Somehow, the ideals of not "tarnishing the image" of people like Jefferson
and Washington, is right and good, but tarring and feathering Lincoln is
quite acceptable. This is a double standard that offends my sensibilities.

Well, enough for now. I will try to ignore the coming rages from the list
for awhile and cool my heels. I will, again, point out, that I think your
criticism of Anita Wills is without basis. I may deserve your censure, but
she doesn't. I will remind that someone else responded to my comments on the
value of oral history by sharing a link to George Mason University's site
that is chock full of oral history mixed in with the standard stuff.  This
is an area of history that interests me far more than regurgitating the same
old same old.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert