From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:10:54 -0400
Mr. Browning (or is it Dr. Browning?  sorry!), I'm truly confused by
your comment here.

You quote the reporter as saying the following:

1.  Genetic evidence has linked Hemings's line to Jefferson's family.
2.  Documentary evidence exists.
3.  Historians say that such evidence points to Jefferson as the father.
4.  There are still some who deny the link.

Which of these statements do you contest?  It seems to me that every
one of them can be substantiated abundantly in postings on this list,
from advocates on all sides of the question at hand, within the past
month.  Some of the historians in question have even participated in
that discussion, or have recently published books to the same effect.

If one wishes to continue to debate Jefferson and Hemings, surely one
can come up with something more salient than a bald factual statement
from a reporter -- a welcome exception, moreover, to the general
tendency of reporters to misreport complicated historical issues.

I say this, for what it's worth, as someone who finds this
individual's claim of Madison descent dubious in the extreme.  (I
cannot find the Times-Dispatch article, but am familiar with the claim
as recorded in other recent news reports.)  The (apparent) entire
absence of supporting contemporary evidence -- i.e., evidence from
Madison's own time -- renders it most likely to be, in my view, what
several people on this list would have us suppose the Hemings-
Jefferson link to be: a historically baseless family story founded in
misdirected ancestral pride.

The same goes for the story about a supposed George Washington slave
liaison that Henry Wiencek has perhaps too dutifully (sorry, Henry)
laid forth in An Imperfect God: the contemporaneous, or even more
recent historical, supporting evidence that might lead a reasonable
researcher to accept the tale's essential veracity simply does not
exist.

The Jefferson-Hemings link is of an entirely different order, and it
is frankly an insult to the professional integrity of historians to
pretend otherwise.

Sorry to be peevish.  My peeve is not directed at you, Mr. Browning,
but my puzzlement is.

-- Jurretta Heckscher