From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 13:49:32 -0500
UNBELIEVABLE, DAVID!!!!!!!  Here I was hoping for a few from 1907 (I wrote off the 1957 commission since it was SO bad, it makes the Lawrence Welk sound like Verdi's Aida.   "Poooooooo co hantas...... daughter of Powhatan", more or less to the tune of "Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Fronteir."

Based on your report of a band, which had to be a 'Harmonie Musick band' (clarinets, natural horns a bassoon or two) since valved brass instruments had another couple of decades before their invention, I shall now raise my sights and include some of that 1807 music.  I already have Jefferson's March, Hail Columbia, Anacreon in Heaven (Star Spangled Banner), See the Conquring Hero ("Handel's Hail Mighty Caesar" from Judas Maccabeaus).

Boyne's Water is a new one on me, and since it was such a big part of the 1807 thing, then I'll try to find it.

Many thanks.  Thanks to inputs like yours, my musical efforts may produce something be really significant in terms of brass band music.

Randy