From:
Langdon Hagen-Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:19:58 -0700
Dear Stuart,  Does your book cover only Virginia Regiments?  I am interested in Samuel Bunch's TN  Regiment, and Youngblood's Regiment, which I believe mustered in Charleston, South Carolina.   Particularly,  I'd like to know if there is any chance these 2 regiments were merged at some point.  They seem to both have some of the same South Carolina families. Does your book cover one or both of these?  Thanks for any information you can offer.

Langdon Hagen-Long

Stuart or Rosanne Butler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dear Phyllis,

The 36th Virginia Militia was one of two regiments raised from Prince
William County. The other unit was the 89th Regiment. Most of men serving
in both regiments were called to defend Baltimore during August-September
1814, but others served in Norfolk or in the Northern Neck. If the company
in which a man served is known, one can narrow down exactly where he may
served. If you can provide me with the name the company's commander (which
can be obtained from the National Archives) I can precisely tell you where
and when a veteran serviced. At present, there is no compiled history of
each regiment during the War of 1812, but there is a short description of
the county's service and a list of the companies called to service in my
publication, A GUIDE TO MILITIA UNITS IN THE WAR OF 1812. (Athens, GA,
1988)

Stuart Butler