From:
"Hardwick, Kevin R - hardwikr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:13:07 +0000
Madison delivered his comment regarding violations of the Virginia Declaration of Rights, at least if my memory serves, in a speech during the Virginia Ratifying Convention.  I would need to review the context of Madison's comment to be sure, but it strikes me as at least possible that he was also referring to the proposal in the Virginia legislature during the Revolution to use a Bill of Attainder against a prominent Tory militia leader.  There was a discussion of that incident during the Virginia Convention, in which everyone who commented on it in 1788 managed to get the facts of the episode wrong.  (My memory, it would appear, is not the only one to become more tenuous with age!)

Best wishes,

Kevin

Kevin R. Hardwick
Professor