From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2014 18:02:36 -0400
Hi,

The amazing name of Wildwilt's Island appears in various maps until it is subsumed onto the north shore and becomes part of the foreshore of the south bank of the James River. The genesis of Wildwilt's domain is interesting. Various maps of Richmond have names for some of the islands. I've been looking at the patents and the descriptions are precise, but unfortunately "float" in terms of which landforms they are now, assuming that it is currently possible to isolate landform descriptions.

Islands in the James were definitely subject to the varies of flooding and appeared and disappeared as signifiant landforms. Ive managed to isolate about half of my list and after platting them out, MAYBE I will be able to plonk them on a map more or less accurately by reference to advent landowners.

The gap between the mainland and Wildwilt's appears to have been infilled with massive amounts of demolition/destruction debris from the 1865 evaluation fire. That area appears to have been obliterated in the 1980's by construction of the subterranean sewage plant was tot 14th Street.

Notice that there are a lot of ambiguities in my statements. This is because while they are based upon best guess estimates, they are still estimates.

Lyle Browning, RPA