From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2013 20:34:44 -0400

Hi Folks,

Here is some new revolutionary information for a rainy summer’s day.

1.  The ARRT-Richmond will next meet on Wednesday, September 18.  Sean Heuvel will speak on his revolutionary ancestor General William Heath.  The regular reminder will follow.

2.  After our last meeting, at which David Reuwer spoke on Thomas Sumter, our own Art Ritter discovered this 1950s memory about Sumter’s sometimes friend and sometimes foe Francis Marion – the Swamp Fox.  All us baby boomers will likely remember this.  Thanks to both Art and Uncle Walt.

Last week's talk led me to remember the Disney show 'The Swamp Fox,' and I began to think about the theme song for the show.  I found it on line, of course:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADesK3Wa_D0

It might be fun for the membership since many were probably viewers of the show years ago.

3. Speaking of the Swamp Fox, here are details about the 11th Francis Marion Symposium on October 18 – 19.

You're invited to register & participate in the October 18-19, 2013 Francis Marion Symposium:

Francis Marion and the Southern Campaign

(Here's your registration form, print 1st page of this or copy & paste, or print form linked at www.francismarionsymposium.com )  Print, Fill in & send in to register in next 30 days for the discounts.
Registration Form:   11th Francis Marion Symposium, October 18-19, 2013

Name ______________________

Address ____________________

City ________________________

State, Zip___________________

Phone ______________________

E-mail ______________________
     Price $ 95.00 ($175 / couple)  (Early bird $90/165 by Sept 17)
Mail to: c/o C. Hester
   11th Francis Marion Symposium
   PO Box 667
   Manning, SC 29102
  www.francismarionsymposium.com Info: 803-478-2645;
Cell: 803-460-7416  E-mail [log in to unmask]
Francis Marion and the Southern Campaign
Immerse yourself in Francis Marion's world and the significance of the Southern Campaign of the American Revolution. Gen. Francis Marion played a major role in the American Revolution.
Proposed agenda:

Ricky Roberts:  Marion’s Bridges Campaign with McCottry Riflemen

 Steve Smith:  Marion along the PeeDee River

 Christine Swager: Winning in the Back-country of  Southern Campaign

 Dusty Owens:  The Role of Marion’s Subordinate Commanders in Marion’s early success
 Dave Neilan:  Marion & The Trials and Tribulations of Peter Horry
 Will Graves: "Rest of the story" -the corrected version on James Williams

 Karen MacNutt: Marion in Georgetown

 Jack Bachanan: “ I have not the Honor of your Acquaintance but am no Stranger to your Character and merit.”

 Charles Baxley & Panel:   Southern Campaign of the Revolutionary War
 Dinner Theater: Intro: Christine Swager  and Joe Stukes as Marquis d’ Lafayette

We'll share a special display of Marion owned or related items.

If you know of someone who has either an item that belonged to Marion or an item used in SC during the Rev war, please send a picture and history of it; a selection of such items will be displayed.  The site of Symposium is the DuBose Campus, CCT College, Manning, SC.

More details: www.francismarionsymposium.com ,   803-478-2645 or   [log in to unmask]

Best regards,  Carole & George

Francis Marion Advocates: Pushing back the frontier of ignorance.
Swamp Fox Murals Trail Society: New “Clarendon County Tour” history tour App
PO Box 667, Manning, SC 29102
803-478-2645, cells: 803-460-9626,  803-460-7416
www.francismarionsymposium.com  Plan now for: Oct 18-19, 2013
www.francismarioncountry.com : Living History Encampment: Feb 21-22, 2014   Huzzah, Huzzah, Huzzah!
www.clarendonmurals.com   www.francismariontrail.com
www.swampfoxtrail.com       www.swampfoxcountry.com - Events & Sales

4.  One of our members, who wishes to remain anonymous, made a very nice donation to our group at the last meeting.  Thank you very much, Anonymous.  And, certainly, all such generous gifts are greatly appreciated and encouraged.

5.  Please mark your calendar.  Laura Baghetti, who spoke at our last meeting, will host a behind the scenes tour for ARRT-Richmond members at the U. S. Army Quartermaster Museum at Fort Lee on Wednesday, October 16, from 10 AM until noon.  Their site is http://www.qmmuseum.lee.army.mil/  This visit will be limited to dues paying ARRT-Richmond members only.  Details will follow as we get closer.  Given budgetary issues, we were unable to schedule this on a weekend.  Thanks, Laura.

6.  Here’s information about The Yorktown Victory Center’s fall lecture series.

REVOLUTIONARY WAR LECTURES EXPLORE MIGRATION PATTERNS,

LOYALIST EXPERIENCE, PERIOD SOUTHERN PAINTINGS

YORKTOWN, Va., July 23, 2013 – The Yorktown Victory Center’s Revolutionary War lecture series returns this year with guest scholars speaking at 7 p.m. Saturdays, September 14 and 28 and October 5, in the museum’s Richard S. Reynolds Foundation Theater.

James C. Kelly, chief of Museum Programs for the U.S. Army Center of Military History, will present “To, Through, and Beyond Virginia” on September 14.  He will address the paradox that Virginia was the largest destination for voluntary and involuntary immigrants to colonial North America and the largest source of emigrants to the west in the early republic.  Prior to joining the Center of Military History, which operates 62 museums at military installations in the United States, Germany and South Korea, Dr. Kelly was director of museums for the Virginia Historical Society, where he was co-curator and co-author of Bound Away: Virginia and the Westward Movement.

Holger Hoock, the J. Carroll Amundson Professor of British History at the University of Pittsburgh, will present “‘The Tyranny of the People’: A Loyalist Perspective on the American Revolution” on September 28.  The lecture will explore the role of violence in the treatment of Loyalists and in the stories they told of the Revolution and will conclude with an outlook on how they were re-integrated in the new American nation after 1783.  Dr. Hoock is author of Empires of the Imagination: Politics, War, and the Arts in the British World, 1750-1850 and previously taught at the Universities of Cambridge and Liverpool, where he founded and directed the Eighteenth-Century Worlds interdisciplinary research center.

The series concludes October 5 with Carolyn J. Weekley presenting “Painters and Paintings in the Early American South: 1735-1800,” a survey of painters and their customers, in this case Southern clients, who commissioned various sorts of paintings, but mostly portraits, from about 1735 to the end of the century.  Ms. Weekley is Colonial Williamsburg Foundation Juli Grainger Curator Emerita.  She curated “Painters and Paintings in the Early American South” currently at Colonial Williamsburg’s DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum and is author of a recently published book by the same name.

Admission to the lectures is free, and advance reservations are recommended by calling (757) 253-4572 or e-mailing [log in to unmask]  The series is supported with private donations to the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation, Inc.

ABOUT THE YORKTOWN VICTORY CENTER

The Yorktown Victory Center, located at Route 1020 and the Colonial Parkway, chronicles the American Revolution, from colonial unrest to the formation of the new nation, through gallery exhibits and historical interpretation at re-creations of a Continental Army encampment and 1780s farm.  Under the administration of the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation, a Virginia state agency, the museum is undergoing a transformation with a new facility and expanded exhibits and will be known as the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown when the project is complete.  The Yorktown Victory Center remains open to visitors daily while work is under way.  For more information, visit www.historyisfun.org or call (888) 593-4682 toll-free or (757) 253-4838.

7.  The SCAR calendar remains the best source of events of a revolutionary nature.  Thanks, Charles.  http://www.southerncampaign.org/calendar-of-events/

8.  Finally, here’s a link to the current issue of Common-Place.  Although not all revolutionary, there are always a few articles specific to our interest, as well as others.  http://www.common-place.org/

Enjoy the rest of the fast retreating summer.

Bill Welsch