From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:15:42 -0500
Mr. Bearden,

There was no insult intended in misspelling your name, childish or
otherwise. It was simply a mistake.

If you wish to assert that this country is not great because it has made
grievous mistakes in the past, you need to catch me in the summer. Currently
I am teaching government. It is my job to prepare students to become strong
citizens of this great country; it is not my job to criticize the past so
much as to lead to a better way.

This discussion came about because I wanted some quick information to
support the students who, last week conducted their debate on emotionalism
rather than fact. With the help of the scholarly folks here, I gave the
debaters each a thick packet of information to supplement what the heard at
home or could find for themselves online. I am proud of the debate my
students had Friday morning on the issue of whether they should be allowed
to display the confederate flag on school clothes. Clearly, the flag is
still considered a symbol of racism more than heritage, Perhaps someday the
heritage groups will meet their goal, or perhaps they will just choose to
change their symbols to avoid confusion.

One of the questions raised by those students who perceive the flag as a
symbol of racism was why the heritage groups did not in some way prevent its
appropriations by the hate groups?

Two of the "facts" presented by those who feel the flag is not racist were
especially amusing. One was that Jefferson Davis wanted equality for all and
was opposed to slavery. The other was that slaves had "rights" they lost
when they were freed. I know they were not taught either of those "facts" in
a Virginia classroom!

Again, sorry for misspelling your name. It was just a mistake.

Anne