From:
"Tarter, Brent (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2013 15:13:17 +0000
In fact, the instructions accompanying the Library of Virginia's photograph direct that it be sent to Mary Bowser in Petersburg, so the photograph may not even be of a Mary Bowser, and by the late 19th century when the photograph that we own was was taken, the former spy would have been several decades older than the woman depicted in the photograph: as I so informed somebody from the espionage museum a couple of decades ago.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Please visit the Library of Virginia's Web site at http://www.lva.virginia.gov