From:
Adrienne Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2013 15:52:46 -0400
Good afternoon folks,

This email is to let you all know about a unique event that will be happening at the Library of Virginia on Friday, September 6. The Library is hosting John Del Re and Kelly Macklin (recognized by the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities as Master Shape Note Singers), who will give a lecture and demonstration about the shape note singing tradition in Virginia. This is in conjunction with their recent publication a book of compiled historic shape note tunes from the Shenandoah Valley. All will be encouraged to listen and participate. The event is at the Library from 6:00 PM until 7:30 PM.

 "But I  don't actually know what Shape Note Singing is." Shape note was a method of teaching congregational singing that was popular in America throughout the 18th and 19th century. It is known for it's user friendly, every man approach. For examples check out the clips below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWQDl6cyj2Y

 and the same tune as interpreted in the movie Cold Mountain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtAei8rtAto

Our own Barbara Batson is building a small exhibit especially for this event that will feature several early shape note books and materials from the Library's collections.

This is a unique event at the Library that will allow us to showcase some of our collections that don't get a lot of attention as well as highlighting artists who are continuing the tradition.

Happy to answer any questions. Spread the word!

 Best,

Adrienne Robertson

Education and Programs Coordinator

Library of Virginia