From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2005 18:26:28 -0800
Sometimes I agree with you (Paul Finkelman) and sometimes I don't, but I appreciate  someone willing to point out that it's not a good idea to use Caps when writing email --or anything else, for that matter.  I don't mind the "shouting" as much as I do the fact that it's doggone hard to read!

  Joanne

Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Dear Ms. Mills:

I am not sure what makes you think that; I am simply pointing out that
in the age of Jefferson there were many people who were willing to do so
something about slavery and that Jefferson was not one of them;
thousands of Virginians freed their slaves, for example. Jefferson
wasnot one of them. Between 1780 and 1810 the free black population of
Va. grew from about 2,000 to over 30,000. This growth was due to
private manumissions by thousands of individual Virginians, maybe even
some of those in your 13 generations in the Commonwealth. Jefferson
opposed such acts and opposed any measures designed to end slavery; in
1820 he opposed a bad on slavery in the western territories.

Racism, as you point out, is a fluid term with a meaning that changes
over time. TJ was the first American to argue for the innate
inferiority of blacks. He did so pretty early -- 1783 -- in Notes on
the State of Virginia; and then he opposed rights for free blacks.
Similiarly, he opposed private manumission and public emancipation.
All of this is pretty well known, and should not surprise anyone, just
as it no longer surprises people that he held his own children in
slavery as well has his half-sister-in-law (Sally Hemings) and his
half-brothers-in-law. This may have made him like many other southern
white men (maybe some of those in your 13 generations) who owned their
own children and enslaved their relatives. But, many Virginians
(again, maybe some of those in your 13 generations) did not act that
way. If you are asking me whether I think Washingon or Edward Coles, or
John Pleasant, of the countless other Virginians who free their slaves
are more admirable than Jefferson, the answer is yes. Were all these
people racial egalitarians according to our social norms. But, were the
more supprtive of racial fairness than most Virginians -- and more so
than TJ -- the answer is clearly yes.

One moreo thing, if you are going to respoind, please take your "Caps
lock" off the computer, as most of the time when someone writes in all
caps it seems as if the person is yelling on the computer screen. I am
sure as a 13th generation Virginian you don't intend to me yelling at
me, but are rather asking good questions about the nature of history.
(I should add that my son is a first generation Virginian!)

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor of Law

918-631-3706 (office)