From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 15:50:48 -0500
190 M corn holes = 190,000 holes & 170 M tobacco hills =
170,000 hills.  The corn holes figure may be correct, but 170,000
tobacco hills--here I am presuming the hills in which tobacco plants
were gestated in or near the barn before the end of frosts--is way
too much tobacco.  Even if 15 slaves could build the hills, they
would not have been able to cultivate 170,000 X 10 (or 20) plants in
the fields:  perhaps as much as 800 acres of tobacco.
  From what I have seen, corn production on tobacco farms,
covered anywhere from 8 to 20 times the amount of land devoted to
tobacco production in Virginia.  (I am sure someone has more
accurate figures than I am spewing from my memory here.)  The
labor investment in tobacco was so much greater than the labor
investment in corn, I think these numbers boggle my mind.
Washington was an extraordinary individual, but I have genuine
doubts that he could make his hands produce tons of saleable
tobacco.