From:
Tony Lister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 08:31:32 -0500
Anne & et al,

I think the issue here is not whether or not Nat Turner was a hero or whether
he was an abomination.  Slavery as an institution assisted in evolving the
worst aspect in man on both sides of the proverbial track. I agree the whole
story of Mr. Turner should be taught to students so they can understand the
impacts and form cognitive beliefs on the social impacts of slavery.  Maybe not
at the middle school levels but we can argue that until we are both blue in the
face.

The real issue is how do educators create a culturally responsive Pedagogy
and teach the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.   So two
questions:
(1)  Do educators have a responsibility to teach history without bias or an
effort to create social activism/reform?
(2)   How do you, or do you censure teacher who uses their podium as a
pulpit?

v/r

Tony

P.S.

Anne:

 “Unregulated capitalism is almost as bad as slavery, but it is NOT slavery,
and there are always escapes.: I think Merle Travis and possibly Tennessee
Ernie Ford would disagree.