From:
Chawnzmit <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chawnzmit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2009 14:36:23 -0400
So well said.  Because of the sacrifice of the men of Company A of the 29th
Infantry Division, Virginia National Guard, Bedford to this day has, the
unenviable record of the highest percentage of casualties of any town in any
of our wars.  I visited the museum in Bedford about 6 years ago, and met one
of the survivors.  I believe that he is the person whose death was reported
in the press a week or so ago -- the last of the men who went ashore with
Company A.  21 years ago, Mary Kay and I walked the Normandy Beaches, and
visited the cemetery.  We spent several nights in a nearby hotel, and
contrary to the tradition of icy French non-welcome, when those people found
out we were Americans, they thanked us and were most appreciative of what
America had done liberating France.  Today, the 29th Army Band is the only
band remaining in the Virginia National Guard.  I encourage everybody to
come out to the joint concert of that band and the Stonewall Brigade Band on
June 29 in Staunton.  The program is heavy on patriotic music, and I am
honored that they will play "Afghan Andy", the march I wrote earlier this
year to celebrate the safe return of my young friend, Major Andrew Ashley.

Randy Cabell