From:
"Johnson, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:16:34 -0400
And to follow on the heels of Harold's excellent post, I should mention the
New York Ladies' Southern Relief Association, which was an organization
founded in NYC (and surrounding areas) to raise money for widows and orphans
in the South in 1866-67.  Many of the NYLSRA's board members were
southerners (as was its primary founder, Mary Mildred Sullivan, wife of
Algernon Sydney Sullivan), but contributions were made by all manner of New
Yorkers who wanted to alleviate the suffering in the post-war South.
Distributions of clothes and food that were purchased by the organization
was through southern ministers of many faith traditions.  The NYLSRA was
only one of many such organizations throughout the North.   Robert H.
Bremner's _The Public Good: Philanthropy and Welfare in the Civil War Era_
(New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1980) has an extensive discussion of such
groups.

--Eric