Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:47:48 EST
All right, I guess we better drop the bloody shirts and move on.  However, as
the 1861 poem Maryland My Maryland recites:

The despot's heel is on thy shore,
Maryland!
His torch is at thy temple door,
Maryland!
Avenge the patriotic gore
That flecked the streets of Baltimore,
And be the battle queen of yore,
Maryland! My Maryland!

Dear Mother! burst the tyrant's chain,
Maryland!
Virginia should not call in vain,
Maryland!
She meets her sisters on the plain-
Sic semper! 'tis the proud refrain
That baffles minions back amain,
Maryland!
Arise in majesty again,
Maryland! My Maryland!

However, I am prejudiced having been born in the Southern state....Maryland.

JDS