From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2018 14:39:41 -0400
AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE of RICHMOND

Due to a family problem, our Wednesday, March 21 speaker Bob Smith is unable to join us.  Hopefully, he can be rescheduled for a later time.  But Bruce was quickly able to arrange another fine speaker.  We all know much about the First Citizen George Washington.  But what do we know Mrs. Washington?  In this case, not Martha, but Mary Ball.  Michelle Hamilton will present “Mary Ball Washington – Mother of George Washington,” from her new book.  We’ll meet for dinner at 5:30 in the Heilman Dining Center of the University of Richmond, with the meeting following at 6:30 PM.  A campus map is here.  http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/2013-meeting-schedule.html

As a warning, we will not be meeting in the Heilman Center for our May meeting, as it will be closed.  Another venue is being arranged.  Details will follow.

The 5th Congress of American Revolution Round Tables will convene in Yorktown from March 23 – 25.  All ARRT members are welcome and encouraged to attend.  A number of us from Richmond will be there.  Please consider joining us.  The Congresses are meant to assist new and forming ARRTs, as well as share best practices, encourage communication, see good friends, meet new one, and just have a good time.  Please see me for more details, if interested.

Please take your name tag off the board when you arrive.  We’ll be handling them in a new way that we’ll explain.  Last year saw a high of 85 dues paying members.  To date for 2018, we have 59.  If you’ve not done so, please bring along your check with this form.  http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/directors.html  Thanks.

Here’s a story from Dave Riggs about how one of the recent big storms revealed a Revolutionary War era ship.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2018/03/05/noreaster-winds-reveal-a-surprising-beach-discovery-the-remains-of-a-revolutionary-war-era-ship/  Thanks, Dave.

This from Glenn Williams.  Thanks, Glenn.

HAPPY WASHINGTON'S BIRTHDAY WEEKEND! - NOT "presidents day", d@r&i%!

The third Monday in February is the national holiday that officially observes GEORGE WASHINGTON'S BIRTHDAY!

It has been observed since the early days of the American republic, but only became a legal holiday in 1879 when Congress added 22 February to the list of holidays to be observed by federal employees. When Congress passed the Monday Holiday Law in 1968 to "provide uniform annual observances of certain legal public holidays on Mondays," it designated the third Monday in February for honoring the birth of George Washington.

Contrary to popular belief, neither Congress nor the President has ever stipulated that the name of the holiday observed as Washington's Birthday be changed to "Presidents Day." But we should honor the great American soldier and statesman who established many great traditions that are still kept and revered by our Army and government, such as civilian control of the Armed Forces of the United States, by correctly observing this holiday as honoring the life and legacy of George Washington.

Let us properly observe the birth of who is arguably the GREATEST AMERICAN who ever lived. If anyone deserves to have his / her birth observed as a national holiday, it is George Washington.

https://www.archives.gov/legislative/features/washington

See you on March 21 and, as usual, please bring a friend.

Bill

---
http://www.avg.com