From:
Ann Avery Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 2009 17:27:29 -0400
Many years ao I heard Bob Clay from the LVA give a talk on this subject. He
said that marriage to a deceased spouse's sibling did not happen in VA, and
it was one reason why some couples from VA were married in NC. I have also
read that Thomas Harris Campbell, a legislator from Nottoway County,
introduced a motion to have the law repealed so that his father, Dr.
Archibald A. Campbell, could marry his deceased wife's sister Martha Epes.
It passed, and they were married in Sept. 1850.

Ann Avery Hunter
Winston-Salem, NC