From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:04:10 -0500
  I understand that there are differing interpretations of this matter, but I think
Bill Russell is right in his interpretation.  See, for example, Barbara
Fields, Slavery and Freedom on the Middle Ground (Yale U.P.
1986) about similar developments in Maryland after emancipation.
  One thing to remember is that a lot more whites than blacks died
in and because of the Civil War.  There were, therefore, fewer black
orphans.  Moreover, black extended family structures made it
highly unlikely that a black child had no kin to care for her or him,
unless they had all been sold away.
  The Freedmen's Bureau records, much now on microfilm, records
this complex subject in great detail.  We do not have to guess
which white families were generous and which were greedy,
because this matter tends to be detailed case by case in the
BRFAL records.

Harold