From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2007 18:29:31 -0400
J. South and all--

I'd say a history amateur is anyone who studies, teaches, or writes
about history in an amateurish way (and I use the term "amateur" in its
current pejorative sense): that is, without doing their best to
exercise the standards of intellectual rigor, completeness, accuracy,
and, yes, objectivity (including anticipating and responding to
counter-arguments) that constitute the principles of historical
professionalism.  Conversely, anyone who adheres to these standards is
a professional historian, whether or not they have formal institutional
affiliations or credentials.

For instance, at the risk of embarrassing Henry, based on his
publications I can point to him as a fine example of a professional
historian, even though he's not in academia and I don't know whether or
not he has a Ph.D. (the quality of his research and writing makes that
irrelevant).

On the other hand, the last several years have seen the exposure of a
number of supposedly "professional" historians who jeopardized and in
some cases destroyed their claims to professionalism by plagiarism or
fraud, in print or in the classroom.  In such instances, they were
acting as history amateurs, something easy to overlook in a member of
the general public but egregious in someone who has won public trust
and personal income as an ostensible professional of the discipline.

As the late Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan used to say, "everyone is
entitled to his own opinions, but not to his own facts"--and a stubborn
fidelity to that distinction, however challenging or personally
unwelcome, is perhaps the fundamental sign of the difference between
amateur and professional history.

Here endeth the historiographical sermon--which is itself, of course,
merely a matter of my own opinion.

--Jurretta