Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:27:39 -0600
Does the bottom-line conclusion below necessarily follow? Or, did the market
expand to utilize an endless supply of African slaves, which simply
continued centuries-old practices of the Old World (and New.)  What if there
had been no supply!!  Your point that the degree of slavery matters
(expansion in the New World, but where slavery practices pre-existed arrival
of white Europeans), appropriately leads to repeating that only about 7% of
the slavery expansion within North-, mid-, and South- American societies of
the 'New World' was attributable to some of our ancestors in what became the
United States of America -- which was only a drop in the bucket of slavery
around the world.  Do these observations make anything better?

Why does this group wish to sit around judging ancestors (black and white)
when an estimated 27 million people are enslaved around the world **today.**

Are our individual indifferences or practices of all colors today any better
than those of the past?

The slavery discussions that pop up at this list every few months simply
'rehash' what is contained in the list's archives.  It seems actions never
result except to nod or shake biased heads as to who has written the most
scholarly or made the most debate points.

We should do better that includes me.

Neil McDonald