From:
Diane Ethridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:11:56 -0600
We were in Edinburg, Scotland some years ago & it was a typical cold, foggy, rainy day in August.  We walked from our hotel over to a shopping mall for our noonday meal & were hoping to find some soup or Scottish broth.    We followed a wonderful aroma to one of the food stalls where the young girl was filling steaming bowls of a delicious looking substance that looked like chili.  After our order was  placed & while she was preparing two steaming bowls full of this "soup",  I inquired as to what kind of soup this was & how they made it.   That's where I made my mistake!    She said it was "Haggis" & proceeded to describe the recipe which sounded absolutely horrible.   It was something like a mixture of oats, barley, onion, ale, mutton & various seasonings which are stuffed into a sheep's stomach,  which is then sewn shut & boiled in more ale & seasonings.   Since I was having a difficult time understanding her anyway, I'm sure there were parts of the recipe I missed.   However,  I heard enough to have second thoughts about our choice of lunch & we settled for a "Jacket Potato", (which is what they call a baked potato).

I, for one, am glad this particular tradition didn't follow the Scottish folks over here.

Diane in TX