From:
Lee Minnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 15:11:21 -0500
From: "kukla" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 8:12 PM
Subject: Declared rebels in 1776

> A page in the Gentleman's Magazine of September 1776 reports that "a
declared rebel," Patrick Henry, had been named governor of Virginia.
>   On April 29, 1776, Dixon and Hunter's Virginia Gazette reported
that Peyton Randolph "had been declared a rebel and that General
Thomas Gage had a 'commission to try and execute' Randolph and other
colonial leaders."  The clear implication has always been that some
formal action was taken identifying these men as rebels.
>   Upon reflection, however, aside from the Virginia Gazette story, I
don't recall ever seeing documentation that either man was in some
formal way declared to have been a rebel.  I've looked in the Van
Schreeven, Scribner, Tarter Revolutionary Virginia volumes without
success, though perhaps I've overlooked something.  The quote about
Randolph in the previous paragraph is from the sketch in my Speakers
and Clerks of the Va House of Burgesses, where the phrase about Gage
was quoted from the Virginia Gazette..  The statement reflects
received opinion, but is NOT based on official documents such as
whatever "commission" General Gage may have had.
>   I've also looked closely at the language of Dunmore's 1775
proclamation against Henry and his "deluded Followers" -- which
wouldn't have applied to Randolph -- but which we often hear cited as
evidence that Henry was "declared a rebel."  Dunmore did not use the
term "rebel" or rebellion" (nor "outlaw"*).
>   In the British government or military of that day, I'm wondering
what official would have had authority or cause to declare someone a
rebel in 1776? what procedure may have been necessary? what form such
a declaration would have taken? hence what documentation would
survive?

Was it necessary to name individuals such as Patrick Henry?  Dunmore
stated in his proclamation of 7 Nov 1775:  "...I do, in virtue of the
power and authority to me given by His Majesty, determine to execute
martial law, and cause the same to be executed throughout this
Colony... I do require of every person capable of bearing arms to
resort to his Majesty's standard or be looked upon as traitors to his
Majesty's crown and government, and thereby become liable to the
penalty the law inflicts upon such offences (sic)-- such as forfeiture
of life, confiscation of lands, etc., etc..."

As to Peyton Randolph, he died in Oct 1775 several months before the
article in the Gazette.  That same month and year saw Gage turn over
his command to Howe and depart for London.  He had no further part in
American matters.  Perhaps the article had been written earlier and
inserted in the Gazette without reference to the original date, a not
uncommon practice at that time.  Gage issued a proclamation on 12 Jun
1775 similar to that of Dunmore's except that he promised a pardon to
all who would lay down their arms and return to their duties of
peaceable subjects except for Adams and Hancock.

M. Lee Minnis
Ancestors in Virginia
(904) 287-3198
http://www.ancestorsinvirginia.com