From:
Holly Wilhelm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 2004 22:34:02 EDT
In a message dated 8/7/04 10:07:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> When we toured St. John's church, I learned they had a school for black
> children on the property in the antebellum period, and I am curious about
> it.

Mary Blackford also taught slaves to read and write, and also expresses her
fears about having too many students and thence attract attention....

I'm sure the Mary B. stories I could tell would get tedious.  She's a cousin
and so she fascinates me.  So yes, being related makes me particularly
interested in her.  In addition, I also learned the trade of nineteenth century
printing, and I also had to learn many details of the complexity of the institution
of slavery when I processed court records and when I described material for
VIrginia Historical's _Guide to African-American Manuscripts in the Collections
of the Virginia Historical Society_.

Oops!  there I go rambling again!

Good luck, and keep us posted as to how the story goes!

Holly