Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:08:39 -0400
On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Jarl K. Jackson wrote:

> There is a letter written by John S. Mosby to a friend after the war
> in which he explains how though opposed to slavery, he and many others
> could go with, and fight for Virginia. Many would condemn the likes of

Not being familiar with the letter in question, I may simply be repeating
what Mosby said, but: I suspect in some cases at least the decision had
little to do with loyalty to a nation or state, or to a cause, and much to
do with loyalty towards neighbours and friends, as well as with opposition
to soldiers marching through and occupying their lands and your own.

It's not unlike the instinct to protect a friend or relative who has
fallen foul of the law:  you may not approve of what he's done, but he's
one of yours ...

And, like you, I hope I'll never have to choose.

Mario Rups