From:
John Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 16:13:23 -0000
Somewhat out-of-state, but not completely off-topic:

Seeing that there are a few on the list with a knowledge of historical
timber growing, and in the hope that some of them include knowledge of other
states, I'm tempted to ask a question about pine cultivation in Georgia,
something that has come up in my study of the Corps of Colonial Marines (who
were partly recruited in Virginia, so that my posting is not completely
off-topic). In looking at aerial photographs of the plantation that my
wife's ancestors quit in February 1815 (Satilla River, Camden County), I see
what I thought were the old rice fields overgrown with trees, but I now know
that the field layout was completely new and laid out for pine cultivation.
Can anyone tell me when tidewater rice growing gave way to afforestation? I
guess there must have been a national pattern to demand and supply on the
Atlantic coast. I apologize for crossing state borders, but I would welcome
pointers to relevant sources.

John Weiss, London
www.mcnsih-weiss.co.uk