From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 06:21:36 -0400
#1 - "Amen" to what Lonny says.  He has done a wonderful job articulating
it.  I, too, have slave owners in my ancestry, and have people who fought
and died under the red flag with the cross of St. Andrew on it, which sadly
has been taken over by hippies and the fringe.  But we cannot change
history, we have to do our best to understand it and live with it, and we
really should not try to re-write it.

#2 - re Gag Orders.  I have been a member of VA-HIST for just about as long
as it has been there.  It is one of the best.  I have learned much, and made
many lasting friends.  In my zeal to gather information on a wide range of
topics (which upon reflection were NOT really VA-HIST) I have been brought
back to the straight and narrow, in a thoughful, gentle, and caring way by
some of the good folks who run the net.  Re the current issue(s) of slaves,
Jefferson, and Washington, I have learned a lot, but quite frankly about all
I want to know at this point.  I respectfully suggest that in the interest
of those uf us who would like to move on, those people who want to continue
the information interchange set up a site and "have at it" as long and as
intense as they wish.

Randy Cabell