From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2007 10:34:21 -0500
The potato salad I knew was made with mayo, and a little mustard- but
not too much- and one chopped up hard boiled egg, some chopped celery
and chopped onion, a dash of salt and pepper. The skins were slipped
off them while they were still warm and being cut up after boiling. I
have never, ever come across a commercial or restaurant potato salad
that comes close to the yumminess of home made. And nowadays people
have "Hawaiian potato salad" and other such heresies. Why mess with
perfection?

We never used sour cream, I suspect that might have been a German
influence. Also the bacon bits in some. Ukrops [grocery stores] does
make an excellent sour cream potato salad, if you're ever in Richmond.

I also get annoyed at how people don't make Deviled Eggs properly.
They so often have too much mayo in relation to the mustard. It
should be 2 parts mayo to one part mustard. I think most commercial
places use a ratio of 3 to one, they're too bland. I was astounded
when, some years ago, a friend of my daughter visited us from
Chicago. She had never heard of Deviled Eggs! But she loved them.
Also peanut butter fudge, which she also had never had before, poor,
deprived child.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone