From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:10:01 -0400
The old show-biz maximum that 'timing is everything' has bitten me in spades, to mix several metaphors.

Every since the early part of the year, I have been trying to get my Music (mostly brass and early American) library in shape to donate to an institution that may want it.  Before I fell into procrastination-moed, I indexed all my holding which total nearly 2000 titles, grouped in 104 collections (books) + another 201 stand-alone.  All are boxed in about 15 pasteboard boxes.  Some are standards of the brass repetorie from good old Robert King, and there are marches from the early 20th century.   But several are unique:

1 - Book of The Goliard Brass Ensemble 1976-1980.  Several dozen Brass Sextets of American music, at a time when the rest of the brass world was still playing RK's barouque and renaissance transcriptions.  All hand-written.  Most players were from the U of Mich, but they let a tuba player in from GaTech/UVa because they liked me, or maybe it was because I was the only one who applied.

2 - Musick of Turkey Run Farm.  A recreated early-American band of musick, under George Carroll which performed in coftume in roughly the same time frame.  The group was one of two such bands to take part in the 1981 Yorktown Bicentennial.  All music is hand written (mostly by me), on early-looking paper with hand-drawn lines.  I played sackbut and serpent horn in the group, which is further proof of how far I live in the musical past.

It was my thought that at some point, I would circulate an FYI/RFP to (mostly Virginia) Institutions inquiring of their interest in acquiring the collection, and what they would do with it.  Now the recent EMC announcement of $5000-$15,000 grants has nudged me off the dime, and caused me to think that perhaps my offer could be accompanied by an application to index the unique parts of the collection.

Another thing I have never gotten around to but am inspired now, is to make up a bound overview of the individual parts, along with a listing of the line items.  I believe this is mandatory before anybody out there can take the next step determine interest or not.

Therefore, the purpose of my EMail is to ask if any readers might know of any institutions who may be interested in looking further into my offer.  The possibility of a grant may sweeten the pot.  If there is interest, I'll get to work on the overview.

Randy Cabell
(also) The Trumpeter of Jamestowne