Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:40:49 EST
What does race have to do with their status as great  Virginians due to their
accomplishments?  Does your list have some race  requirement?  If so, shame
on you.

I guess if serving as the President of the United States isn't  an
accomplishment enough, the annexation of Texas during his presidency comes to  mind.  I
assume you know where that is?

Tyler was a slaveholder for his entire life and a slave named  John Dunjee
claimed to be his illegitimate son by one of his female slaves  (another case of
genealogical social climbing no doubt). There was also a  mulatto woman who
frequently traveled with the Tyler family who was alleged to  be the
president's daughter.  These two factors should make him a natural  for your list.

J South

In a message dated 11/12/2008 1:32:12 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,